Last updated on June 10, 2020
To submit comments to the Site you must first register an account with us or a third party. During registration we ask you to provide us with certain personal information such as your name and email address, and to establish a user name and password.
In registering an account you represent and warrant:
- that you are an individual capable of entering into a contract, or, if you are a minor, that you have your parent’s permission to do so;
- that you will provide us with true, accurate, current and complete information, and that you will update such information as it may change from to time to time;
- that you will maintain the security of your account, and assume full responsibility for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with it; and
- that you will notify Big Think of any unauthorized uses of your account or any other breaches of security.
A. We welcome the submission of comments submitted by registered contributors for publication on the Site (“Contributor Submissions”). You understand that whether or not such Contributor Submissions are published, Big Think does not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any submissions.
B. You shall be solely responsible for your own Contributor Submissions and the consequences of posting or publishing them. You hereby represent and warrant that any material contained in any such Contributor Submissions:
- Is owned by you, or you have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize Big Think to use each and every image, sound, and other piece of content contained in each such Contributor Submission and to enable inclusion and use of such Contributor Submissions in the manner contemplated by the Site and this Agreement; without limiting the foregoing, you represent and warrant that you have the written consent, release, and/or permission of each and every identifiable individual person in the Contributor Submission to use the name or likeness of each and every such identifiable individual person to enable inclusion and use of the Contributor Submissions in the manner contemplated by the Site and this Agreement; and also without limiting the foregoing, you represent and warrant that the posting of your Contributor Submission on or through the Site does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, or any other rights of any person or entity. You agree to pay all royalties, fees, and other monies owing any person or entity by reason of any content posted by you to or through the Site.
- Is not unlawful, libelous, obscene, fraudulent, indecent or pornographic; does not defame, abuse, harass, or threaten others; and is not hateful or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- Is not posted for a commercial purpose and does not contain any solicitation of funds, advertising or solicitation for goods or services;
- Does not contain any software viruses, Trojan horses, worms, bombs, or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment or that may damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept, or expropriate any system, data, or personal information;
- Does not advocate or encourage any illegal activity or activity that might give rise to civil liability;
- Does not infringe the copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity or other intellectual property, proprietary, contracted, personal or other right of any third party;
- Does not violate the privacy rights of individuals, including other users of the Site; and
- Does not violate any applicable local, state, national or international law.
C. You retain all of your ownership rights in your Contributor Submissions. However, by submitting Contributor Submissions on or to the Services, you hereby grant Big Think and any third party designated by Big Think a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, edit, modify, excerpt, publish, adapt, prepare derivative works of, display, perform, and otherwise fully exploit the Contributor Submissions in any media formats and through any media channels now known or hereafter developed. You also hereby do and shall grant each user of the Services a non-exclusive license to access your Contributor Submissions through the Services, and to use, modify, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such Contributor Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Services. For clarity, the foregoing license grant to Big Think does not affect your other ownership or license rights in your Contributor Submissions, including the right to grant additional licenses to the material in your Contributor Submissions.
Big Think does not endorse any Contributor Submission or any opinion, recommendation, or advice expressed therein, nor are we responsible for the accuracy, usefulness, safety, or intellectual property rights of or relating to such Contributor Submissions. You shall be solely responsible for your own Contributor Submissions and the consequences of posting or publishing them. You agree that Big Think has no liability with respect to any Contributor Submissions, including, without limitation, your own submissions, and you hereby irrevocably release Big Think and its officers and directors, employees, agents, representatives and affiliates, from any and all liability arising out of or relating to Contributor Submissions posted or published by you or by other users or any part thereof.
Big Think reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to decide whether a Contributor Submission is inappropriate or violates this Agreement, including but not limited to copyright infringement, violations of intellectual property law, pornography, obscene or defamatory material, or excessive length. Big Think also reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to edit, reject, refuse to post or remove any posting (including private messages and Contributor Submissions) by you, or to restrict, suspend or terminate your access to all or any part of the Services at any time, for any or no reason, with or without prior notice. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Big Think does not and cannot review every Contributor Submission and assumes no responsibility for monitoring the Services, Content, or Contributor Submissions for inappropriate conduct, or for modifying or removing such conduct, Content or Contributor Submissions from the Services.
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Big Think’s designated Copyright Agent to receive notifications of claimed infringement is: Peter Hopkins: peter [–at–] bigthink [—dot–] com.
Please direct any complaints unrelated to the potential infringement of intellectual property rights to [email protected] Once proper bona fide infringement notification is received by the Copyright Agent, it is Big Think’s policy:
- to remove or disable access to the infringing Content;
- to notify the Content provider, member or user that it has removed or disabled access to the Content; and
- that repeat offenders will have the infringing Content removed from the system and that Big Think will terminate such content provider’s, member’s or user’s access to the service.
The Services may contain links to pages on other websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites to which the Services link, and that link to the Services. Big Think does not have any control over those third party websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to third party website or webpage, Big Think does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content.
IN NO EVENT SHALL BIG THINK, ITS AFFILIATES, OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, LOST REVENUES OR PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS, OR LOSS OF DATA) RELATED TO THE SERVICES OR YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF THE SERVICES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY SUCH DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANY (I) USE OF THE CONTENT, (II) ANY ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT, (III) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SECURE SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (IV) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM THE SERVICES, OR (V) ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT BIG THINK IS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE FOREGOING LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW IN THE APPLICABLE JURISDICTION.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, YOU SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT BIG THINK SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR CONTRIBUTOR SUBMISSIONS OR THE DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE, OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY AND THAT THE RISK OF HARM OR DAMAGE FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU.
The Services are controlled and offered by Big Think from its facilities in the United States of America. Big Think makes no representations that the Services are appropriate or available for use in other locations. Those who access or use the Services from other jurisdictions do so at their own volition and are responsible for compliance with local law.