Big Think's Intellectual Property Rights
To submit content to the Site you must first register an account with us. During registration we ask you to provide us with certain personal information such as your name and email address, and to establish a user name and password.
In registering an account you represent and warrant:
- that you are an individual capable of entering into a contract with Big Think, or, if you are a minor, that you have your parent's permission to do so;
- that you will provide us with true, accurate, current and complete information, and that you will update such information as it may change from to time to time;
- that you will maintain the security of your account, and assume full responsibility for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with it; and
- that you will notify Big Think of any unauthorized uses of your account or any other breaches of security.
A. We welcome the submission of text, images, recorded sound, videos and other communications submitted by registered contributors for publication on the Site ('Contributor Submissions'). You understand that whether or not such Contributor Submissions are published, Big Think does not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any submissions.
B. You shall be solely responsible for your own Contributor Submissions and the consequences of posting or publishing them.You hereby represent and warrant that any material contained in any such Contributor Submissions:
- Are owned by you, or you have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize Big Think to use each and every image, sound, and other piece of content contained in each such Contributor Submission and to enable inclusion and use of such Contributor Submissions in the manner contemplated by the Site and this Agreement; specifically, you have the written consent, release, and/or permission of each and every identifiable individual person in the Contributor Submission to use the name or likeness of each and every such identifiable individual person to enable inclusion and use of the Contributor Submissions in the manner contemplated by the Site and this Agreement; and specifically, the posting of your Contributor Submission on or through the Site does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, or any other rights of any person or entity. You agree to pay all royalties, fees, and other monies owing any person or entity by reason of any content posted by you to or through the Site.
- Is not unlawful, obscene, fraudulent, indecent or pornographic; does not defame, abuse, harass, or threaten others; and is not hateful or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- Does not contain any software viruses, Trojan horses, worms, bombs, or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment or that may damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept, or expropriate any system, data, or personal information;
- Does not advocate or encourage any illegal activity or activity that might give rise to civil liability;
- Does not infringe the copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity or other intellectual property, proprietary, contracted, personal or other right of any third party;
- Does not violate the privacy rights of individuals, including other users of the Site; and
- Does not violate any applicable local, state, national or international law.
C. For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Contributor Submissions. However, by submitting Contributor Submission(s) to Big Think, you hereby grant Big Think a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, perform, and otherwise fully exploit the Contributor Submission(s) in connection with the Site and Big Think's (and its successor's) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of Site (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby do and shall grant each user of the Site a non-exclusive license to access your Contributor Submissions through the Site, and to use, modify, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such Contributor Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Site. For clarity, the foregoing license grant to Big Think does not affect your other ownership or license rights in your Contributor Submission(s), including the right to grant additional licenses to the material in your Contributor Submission(s).
Big Think does not endorse any Contributor Submission or any opinion, recommendation, or advice expressed therein, nor are we responsible for the accuracy, usefulness, safety, or intellectual property rights of or relating to such Contributor Submissions. You shall be solely responsible for your own Contributor Submissions and the consequences of posting or publishing them. You agree that Big Think has no liability with respect to any Contributor Submissions, including, without limitation, your own submissions, and you hereby irrevocably release Big Think and its officers and directors, employees, agents, representatives and affiliates, from any and all liability arising out of or relating to Contributor Submissions or any part thereof.
Big Think reserves the right to decide whether Content or a Contributor Submission is inappropriate or violates this Agreement, including but not limited to copyright infringement, violations of intellectual property law, pornography, obscene or defamatory material, or excessive length. Big Think also reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to reject, refuse to post or remove any posting (including private messages and Contributor Submissions) by you, or to restrict, suspend or terminate your access to all or any part of the Site at any time, for any or no reason, with or without prior notice. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Big Think assumes no responsibility for monitoring the Site, Content, or Contributor Submissions for inappropriate conduct, or modifying or removing such conduct, Content or Contributor Submissions from the Site.
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Big Think's designated Copyright Agent to receive notifications of claimed infringement is: [Peter Hopkins: peter [--at--] bigthink [---dot--] com.
Please direct any complaints unrelated to the potential infringement of intellectual property rights to email@example.com. Once proper bona fide infringement notification is received by the Copyright Agent, it is Big Think's policy:
- to remove or disable access to the infringing Content;
- to notify the Content provider, member or user that it has removed or disabled access to the Content; and
- that repeat offenders will have the infringing Content removed from the system and that Big Think will terminate such content provider's, member's or user's access to the service.
Content Posted on Other Sites
This Site contains links to pages on other websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites to which the Site links, and that link to the Site. Big Think does not have any control over those third party websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to third party website or webpage, Big Think does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content.
Disclaimer of Warranties
Big Think has no special relationship with or fiduciary duty to you. You acknowledge that Big Think has no control over, and no duty to take any action regarding: which users gains access to the Site; what Content you access via the Site; what effects the Content may have on you; how you may interpret or use the Content; or what actions you may take as a result of having been exposed to the Content. You release Big Think from all liability for you having acquired or not acquired Content through the Sites. The Sites may contain, or direct you to websites containing, information that some people may find offensive or inappropriate. Big Think makes no representations concerning any content contained in or accessed through the Sites, and Big Think will not be responsible or liable for the accuracy, copyright compliance, legality or decency of material contained in or accessed through the Sites.
THE SERVICE (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY CONTENT) IS PROVIDED 'AS IS' AND 'AS AVAILABLE" AND IS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ANY WARRANTIES IMPLIED BY ANY COURSE OF PERFORMANCE OR USAGE OF TRADE, ALL OF WHICH ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. BIG THINK, AND ITS DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, SUPPLIERS, PARTNERS AND CONTENT PROVIDERS DO NOT WARRANT THAT: (A) THE SERVICE WILL BE SECURE OR AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME OR LOCATION; (B) ANY DEFECTS OR ERRORS WILL BE CORRECTED; (C) ANY CONTENT OR SOFTWARE AVAILABLE AT OR THROUGH THE SERVICE IS FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS; OR (D) THE RESULTS OF USING THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS. YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Electronic Communications Privacy Act Notice (18USC 2701-2711): BIG THINK MAKES NO GUARANTY OF CONFIDENTIALITY OR PRIVACY OF ANY COMMUNICATION OR INFORMATION TRANSMITTED ON THE SITES OR ANY WEBSITE LINKED TO THE SITES. Big Think will not be liable for the privacy of email addresses, registration and identification information, disk space, communications, confidential or trade-secret information, or any other Content stored on Big Think's equipment, transmitted over networks accessed by the Sites, or otherwise connected with your use of the Service.
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT SHALL BIG THINK, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM ANY (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT, (II) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SITE, OR ANY THIRD PARTY WEBSITES (III) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SECURE SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (IV) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM OUR SITE, (IV) ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE, WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH OUR SITE BY ANY THIRD PARTY, AND/OR (VI) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE SITE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT BIG THINK IS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE FOREGOING LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW IN THE APPLICABLE JURISDICTION.
YOU SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT BIG THINK SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR CONTRIBUTOR SUBMISSIONS OR THE DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE, OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY AND THAT THE RISK OF HARM OR DAMAGE FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU.
The Site is controlled and offered by Big Think from its facilities in the United States of America. Big Think makes no representations that Site is appropriate or available for use in other locations. Those who access or use Site from other jurisdictions do so at their own volition and are responsible for compliance with local law.