...and hopes for big benefits.
Want to live and work in Canada? That dream could become a reality now the government has announced plans to accept more than a million immigrants in the next three years.
He's enflamed conversation about socialism across America.
- U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders has been calling himself a democratic socialist since the 1960s.
- Bernie's use of the word "socialist" has attracted both love and ire from the left.
- His definition of socialism is vague, but is the basis for many peoples' understanding of the concept.
Are Americans growing more skeptical of promises of investment from massive (digital) companies?
- Amazon had spent years on a controversial campaign to select cities where it plans to build giant corporate campuses.
- In November, the retail giant announced plans to build its so-called HQ2 in Virginia and New York.
- On Thursday, Amazon cancelled its plans to build in New York following backlash from local lawmakers, union leaders, and protestors.
We keep hearing that Scandinavia has perfected socialism, but is that true?
- The American left and right often point to Scandinavian countries as examples of what government regulation can do, for good and bad.
- But are they actually socialists? How do their economies work?
- While stealing their social structures and trying to implement them elsewhere probably won't work, they do offer an example of a kinder, gentler capitalism.
News doesn't sell. That's lethal to journalism – and democracy.
- Apart from media giants like The New York Times and The Washington Post, nearly every news outlet is laying off journalists or collapsing completely.
- The reason? No advertiser wants to put their ad next to serious, hard-edged news. Sensational content is favored by algorithms, and that isn't just annoying. It has terrifying consequences.
- Journalists are the watchdogs of democracy. The more local news outlets and independent media disappear, the more those in power can do as they wish. Unreported scandals will fester and damage citizens. Corruption will go unchecked.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.