July 16, 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the mission that first landed a man on the Moon.
- The website includes lets viewers experience the mission through 11,000 hours of audio, thousands of photographs and multiple camera angles.
- Apollo 11 lasted just over eight days.
- Only 12 men have walked on the Moon so far. NASA plans to return to the lunar surface in 2024.
"It is almost impossible to put into words the difference that Alan Turing made to society."
- The late British mathematician and theoretical computer scientist Alan Turing will appear on Britain's 50-pound note starting in 2021.
- Turing is best known for helping to crack the Nazis' Enigma machine, a feat that's estimated to have cut World War II short by two years.
- The British government, which chemically castrated Turing in 1952 for "homosexual acts," officially apologized to Turing in 2009.
New research compares the roles and political clout of royal women in eight societies spanning five continents and more than 4,000 years.
The term socialism makes political discourse difficult. Should we do away with it altogether?
- Politicians such as Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez have self-styled themselves as socialists.
- Linguist John McWhorter argues the term is so polluted that even well-intented usage will make critical discourse impossible.
- He recommends leftists drop the liberal and socialist labels and transition fully to progressives.
Twain and Tesla had similar passions and an amusing friendship.
- Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) and Nikola Tesla shared a friendship starting in 1890s.
- Tesla read a lot of early Twain when recovering from a serious illness.
- The two shared an interest in electricity.