It may create the conditions for further inequality.
- The Danish government is building nine artificial islands known as Holmene off the coast of Hvidovre.
- The 33 million square feet of new land will house 380 businesses and 170 acres of parkland, creating 30,000 new jobs.
- Local residents fear this project will alienate the middle class while disrupting traffic and public transportation systems in nearby Copenhagen.
Need to know how an election will turn out? Call your bookie.
- A new study finds that gamblers reacted more quickly to news on Brexit than currency traders.
- On the night of the referendum, gamblers and odds makers figured out what would happen hours before traders, experts, and the BBC.
- The results are bad news for the idea that markets are perfectly efficient.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The new charge was announced in a tweet by the city's mayor.
The sharp drop-off in world trade growth is a major risk in the coming year.
The global economy started 2018 with strong, synchronized growth. But as the year progressed, momentum faded and growth trends diverged. The US economy accelerated, thanks to fiscal stimulus enacted early in the year, while the economies of the Eurozone, the UK, Japan and China began to weaken. These divergent trends will persist in 2019. IHS Markit predicts global growth will edge down from 3.2% in 2018 to 3.1% in 2019, and keep decelerating over the next few years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.