Average waiting time for hitchhikers in Ireland: Less than 30 minutes. In southern Spain: More than 90 minutes.
- A popular means of transportation from the 1920s to the 1980s, hitchhiking has since fallen in disrepute.
- However, as this map shows, thumbing a ride still occupies a thriving niche – if at great geographic variance.
- In some countries and areas, you'll be off the street in no time. In other places, it's much harder to thumb your way from A to B.
Sobering accounts from one of the most pivotal battles in world history.
- On June 6, 1944, Allied forces began the invasion of France.
- World leaders of Allied countries met in England on Wednesday for a memorial service.
- A handful of surviving D-Day veterans were honored at the event; their average age is 96.
Notre Dame was almost torched in 1871, when Communards set Paris' major buildings ablaze.
- Following the blaze that ripped through Notre Dame, it feels like Paris had lost a major link to its past.
- But the cathedral is lucky to have survived this far: It was almost torched by revolutionaries in 1871.
- As the world's first communist revolt was crushed, other Parisian landmarks were set ablaze – many of which were lost forever.
Despite the negative rhetoric, Europeans are getting more liberal about immigration.
Where would you go if you could go anywhere?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.