The writing is on the wall for the oil industry, according to a new report from BNP Paribas.
- The report claims that oil companies will need to produce oil at significantly lower prices if they want to stay competitive with renewables.
- Continuing to invest in oil production represents a multi-trillion-dollar opportunity cost to global society, the report states.
- As renewable energies are becoming cheaper, so are electric cars, thanks mainly to cheaper and more efficient batteries.
North America and Europe peripheral on China's 'vertical world map'
- Europe has dominated cartography for so long that its central place on the world map seems normal
- However, as the economic centre of gravity shifts east and the climate warms up, tomorrow's map may be very different
- Focusing on both China and Arctic shipping lanes, this vertical representation could be the world map of the future
A new study finds that factors influencing where you're born continue to affect your earnings throughout life.
- Children born, raised, and working in big cities tend to be more successful.
- A mountain of British demographic data reveals the correlation.
- Are more successful families created by cities, or are they more likely to move there?
Why Silicon Valley wants to automate 3.5 million blue-collar truck drivers out of existence.
- There are 3.5 million truck drivers in the U.S.; it's the most common job in 29 states. Yet there is a $168 billion financial incentive for Silicon Valley to automate truck drivers.
- The pros? Automation will lower the 4,000-person annual death toll caused by truck collisions, and it will save companies and consumers money.
- The cons? Truck drivers with families to support and loans to pay will soon have to compete with a robot truck that doesn't need to sleep. That kind of economic hardship doesn't exist in a vacuum; it will ripple outward in unexpected ways.
"Cargotecture" is becoming increasingly popular as a cheap alternative to traditional houses.
- The U.K. firm Fraser Brown MacKenna Architects recently obtained approval to construct a number of affordable shipping container houses.
- Shipping container homes are surprisingly popular across the globe and can be found in Amsterdam and the U.S.
- A number of firms are available that can build custom shipping container homes, but they're also more straightforward to build yourself than a traditional house.