Millennial income did not recover from the Great Recession like older generation', a disparity that can have dire consequences for future generations.
- A New America report shows millennial income and wealth accumulation lags dramatically behind their parents and grandparents' generations.
- Resulting from the Great Recession, rising debt, and volatile wealth flow, this imbalance will impair future generations if not corrected.
- The report's authors argue the shortfall can be redressed with comprehensive policy changes.
The campaign promise could only become law if the Labour Party wins the general election in December.
Photo credit: SOPA Images / Getty
- Shadow chancellor John McDonnell didn't provide specific requirements companies would have to meet, but said climate would be the Labour Party's "overriding priority" if it wins the election.
- The center-left Labour Party hopes to bring the U.K.'s greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050.
- The London Stock Exchange currently lists some of the world's largest oil and gas companies.
Researchers develop a novel method to measure gravity that can get much more information.
- Scientists use lasers that suspend atoms in air to measure gravity.
- This method can be more precise and allow for gathering of much more information.
- Portal devices using this technique can help find mineral deposits and improve mapping.
To solve the problem of negative digital disruption, technologies of the future must overcome the inequalities of today.
- The intention of the internet was not to threaten democracy, but it's becoming clear that's exactly what it's doing.
- To fix this problem, we must broaden the scope — politically, socially, and culturally — of who has power and governance over our digital technologies.
- The most vulnerable communities should be involved in a solution that can coexist with Silicon Valley.
Beyond the Valley: How Innovators around the World are Overcoming Inequality and Creating the Technologies of Tomorrow (The MIT Press)
Recycling is linear, but the economy shouldn't be.
Too often the concept of a circular economy is muddled up with some kind of advanced recycling process that would mean keeping our industrial system as it is and preserving a growing consumption model.