A surprising study reveals how people feel about being replaced by robots in their jobs.
- Scientists in Germany find that most people would rather a robot replaced them in their job than a human.
- On the other hand, most people would be upset if a robot took the job of a colleague.
- People have different emotional reactions to being replaced by robots versus humans.
MIT and Google researchers use deep learning to decipher ancient languages.
- Researchers from MIT and Google Brain discover how to use deep learning to decipher ancient languages.
- The technique can be used to read languages that died long ago.
- The method builds on the ability of machines to quickly complete monotonous tasks.
How do you know you are real? A classic paper by philosopher Nick Bostrom argues you are likely a simulation.
- Philosopher Nick Bostrom argues that humans are likely computer simulations in the "Simulation Hypothesis".
- Bostrom thinks advanced civilizations of posthumans will have technology to simulate their ancestors.
- Elon Musk and others support this idea.
This MIT robot solves it faster than any human ever could. It's a world record.
- A robot developed by MIT students Ben Katz and Jared Di Carlo has set the world record for solving the Rubik's Cube.
- The fastest human record is held by Australian Feliks Zemdegs, who solved it in 4.22 seconds in 2018.
- The original-size Rubik's Cube (3x3x3) has 43 quintillion possible combinations – and one solution.
Some experts may worry that AI will depersonalize health care, but others see its potential to deepen relationships.
- Today's rate of innovation and change has made it difficult for patients and physicians to effectively integrate technology into medical best practices.
- Experts agree that physicians need more time in their day to build bonds with patients.
- Dr. Eric Topol believes that artificial intelligence may help restore that time, creating what he calls "deep medicine."