Project to map global 'species richness' highlights the variety of biodiversity itself
- Biodiversity is essential for ecosystems – and humanity – to survive
- These maps show the diversity of biodiversity itself: the hotspots are all over the place
- Compounding U.S. biodiversity data produces a list of 9 'Recommended Priority Areas', most in need of protection
Even the most controversial research conducted by scholars can impact cultures and drive progress.
- Academic freedom is, at the same time, absolutely critical and underappreciated.
- This protection drives innovation and progress, but do we take it for granted? Scholars' ability to conduct controversial research impacts culture and society in a positive way.
- The opinions expressed in this video do not necessarily reflect the views of the Charles Koch Foundation, which encourages the expression of diverse viewpoints within a culture of civil discourse and mutual respect.
These maps show surprising juxtapositions of ancient and modern toponyms of the Mother Continent.
- "Africa" is just one of the ancient names that competed to define the entire continent.
- Geographical terms like Sudan, Maghreb, and Guinea have remarkably wide and changeable areas of application.
- Newly independent African nations sometimes adopted names of former kingdoms – even faraway ones.
There's something special about islands - in some cases, it's the price tag
Most of it was eaten by Earth's mantle, but scraped-off bits survive in the Alps and other mountain ranges.
- Following a 10-year survey, geologists discover a lost continent in the Mediterranean.
- 'Greater Adria' existed for 100 million years, and was probably "great for scuba diving".
- Most of it has been swallowed up by Earth's mantle, but bits of it survive.
A review of the global "wall" that divides rich from poor.
- Trump's border wall is only one puzzle piece of a global picture.
- Similar anxieties are raising similar border defenses elsewhere.
- This map shows how, as a result, "the West" is in fact one large gated community.
The summit of Europe's most active volcano is also the world's only decipoint.