Step-Parents and Family
Although many people, conservative and liberal alike, are concerned about the ill effects of divorce and single motherhood, little attention has been paid to the fact that about 70 percent of divorced mothers remarry within 6 years and many single mothers, eventually marry to establish 2-parent families. There are over 4.4 million stepchildren living in both cohabitating and married stepfamilies in the U.S. As many as one in three American children will have a stepparent for part of their childhood. The majority of these stepparents are stepfathers, with 86 percent of stepchildren live primarily with a custodial mother and stepfather. Stepparents cannot legally make medical decisions for their stepchildren and they cannot sign consent forms for their children to go on school field trips. This group will discuss the ambiguities, legal complexities, and challenges for stepparents to establish nurturing relationships with their stepchildren.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.