Step-Parents and Family
Although many people, conservative and liberal alike, are concerned about the ill effects of divorce and single motherhood, little attention has been paid to the fact that about 70 percent of divorced mothers remarry within 6 years and many single mothers, eventually marry to establish 2-parent families. There are over 4.4 million stepchildren living in both cohabitating and married stepfamilies in the U.S. As many as one in three American children will have a stepparent for part of their childhood. The majority of these stepparents are stepfathers, with 86 percent of stepchildren live primarily with a custodial mother and stepfather. Stepparents cannot legally make medical decisions for their stepchildren and they cannot sign consent forms for their children to go on school field trips. This group will discuss the ambiguities, legal complexities, and challenges for stepparents to establish nurturing relationships with their stepchildren.
Understanding thinking talents in yourself and others can build strong teams and help avoid burnout.
- Learn to collaborate within a team and identify "thinking talent" surpluses – and shortages.
- Angie McArthur teaches intelligent collaboration for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Rediscovering the principles of self-actualisation might be just the tonic that the modern world is crying out for.
Abraham Maslow was the 20th-century American psychologist best-known for explaining motivation through his hierarchy of needs, which he represented in a pyramid. At the base, our physiological needs include food, water, warmth and rest.
"I was so moved when I saw the cells stir," said 90-year-old study co-author Akira Iritani. "I'd been hoping for this for 20 years."
- The team managed to stimulate nucleus-like structures to perform some biological processes, but not cell division.
- Unless better technology and DNA samples emerge in the future, it's unlikely that scientists will be able to clone a woolly mammoth.
- Still, studying the DNA of woolly mammoths provides valuable insights into the genetic adaptations that allowed them to survive in unique environments.
Does believing in true love make people act like jerks?
- Ghosting, or cutting off all contact suddenly with a romantic partner, is not nice.
- Growth-oriented people (who think relationships are made, not born) do not appreciate it.
- Destiny-oriented people (who believe in soulmates) are more likely to be okay with ghosting.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.