Step-Parents and Family
Although many people, conservative and liberal alike, are concerned about the ill effects of divorce and single motherhood, little attention has been paid to the fact that about 70 percent of divorced mothers remarry within 6 years and many single mothers, eventually marry to establish 2-parent families. There are over 4.4 million stepchildren living in both cohabitating and married stepfamilies in the U.S. As many as one in three American children will have a stepparent for part of their childhood. The majority of these stepparents are stepfathers, with 86 percent of stepchildren live primarily with a custodial mother and stepfather. Stepparents cannot legally make medical decisions for their stepchildren and they cannot sign consent forms for their children to go on school field trips. This group will discuss the ambiguities and legal complexities create a plethora of challenges for residential stepfathers to establish nurturing relationships with their stepchildren.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.