The 13th Amendment to the Federal Constitution makes involuntary servitude illegal except by due process of law. In the past, those incarcerated in prison were forced to do hard labor. Now, most of the prisoners have minor day to day jobs to gain a few pence, but they do not do anything of real value and do so little that they have plenty of time to bulk up, build muscle, and hang out with gangs. At the same time, we have had a massive invasion of our country by people who want to live here or do things here that they should not do. It is fundamentally wrong to lock human beings up in prison for long periods of time solely because we are afraid of them. Therefore, I propose a massive four point program to empty our prisons and to eliminate the huge expense that running the prisons costs our society.
First, I propose the repeal of all laws which are victimless. I categorize all drug use crimes in that category.
Second, I propose that all first time offenders be capable of rehabilitation and that we spend significant amounts of money to accomplish that task in as quick a time as possible.
Third, all repeat offenders will be subject to sale on the open market as slaves or indentured servants. Persons committing minor crimes like car theft, theft, sale of drugs, or the such will be indentured for a period equal to the previous prison sentence but not less than three years. They may be used in any legitimate business or personal occupation during that time, but no permanent damage may be done to them. The state should be able to rent these persons to farmers to bring in their crops.
Fourth, all persons committing violent crimes or more serious white and blue collar crimes will be subject to permanent enslavement. They may be used in any way that the purchaser wishes.
All indentured persons and enslaved persons will have monitoring devices attached to them in such a way that removal without a special code will cause immediate death. Any attempt to escape will result in severe punishment up to and including death. A violent act to any owner will result in death. Both attempted escape and allegations of physical or mental harm to an owner will be brought in the normal criminal way and be subject to trial and the full panoply of civil rights.
The money raised through the sale of these persons will be used to help the victims of crimes and for the rehabilitation of offenders.
The result of this program will be the reduction of "political big brother" crimes without victims; the reduction of those incarcerated after judgment to zero; a more humane treatment of human beings rather than warehousing them in the current prison system; a real deterrent to crime; and a way to make the rich responsible for the caring of those who are sociopathic in a way that they will enjoy and from which they will benefit.
I recognize that several important pieces of legislation would be needed to change our current system and at least one international treaty would have to be modified to some degree, but ultimately this is the fairest and best way to restore our country to some modicum of realism in its treatment of criminals and in its policy on crime.
I would like to have serious discussion of this idea without recriminations.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.