Separation of Church and State
A while ago, in the Republican debates, a question was asked of the candidates as to whether or not they believe in the Holy Bible.
In all honesty, this question simply pisses me off. Asking a question like this states that the person asking the question would value the answer. And I don't understand how in the United States of America, supposedly a land of freedom and equality, a question like this could openly be valued.
By asking this question, you are saying that you would think differently of the candidate if they said yes vs. if they said no. Don't get me wrong, I believe that a certain level of faith in SOMEthing is a very valuable quality, and it takes a certain kind of person to have that kind of believe in that which cannot be seen nor proven. However, with this question, you are saying that you would think differently of someone who were Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, or anything other than Christian. You are OPENLY expressing prejudice, and OPENLY contradicting what this county stands for.
What erks me more is that of all of the candidates, not one stood up and asked if it mattered. Not one of them contested that maybe it wasn't a relevant question. They all just tried to suck in as many christian voters as possible with their "I believe The Bible is the word of God!" 's and their cheap, shallow smiles. And they call OTHERS un-American. That is simply shameful.
To sum it all up, my point is this: if you want to make a government based on religion, that's fine, it's been done plenty of times before.
But do NOT call it America.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Entrepreneur and author Andrew Horn shares his rules for becoming an assured conversationalist.
- To avoid basing action on external validation, you need to find your "authentic voice" and use it.
- Finding your voice requires asking the right questions of yourself.
- There are 3-5 questions that you would generally want to ask people you are talking to.
Sarco assisted suicide pods come in three different styles, and allow you to die quickly and painlessly. They're even quite beautiful to look at.
Death: it happens to everyone (except, apparently, Keanu Reeves). But while the impoverished and lower-class people of the world die in the same ol' ways—cancer, heart disease, and so forth—the upper classes can choose hip and cool new ways to die. Now, there's an assisted-suicide pod so chic and so stylin' that peeps (young people still say peeps, right?) are calling it the "Tesla" of death... it's called... the Sarco!
Swiss researchers identify new dangers of modern cocaine.
- Cocaine cut with anti-worming adulterant levamisole may cause brain damage.
- Levamisole can thin out the prefrontal cortex and affect cognitive skills.
- Government health programs should encourage testing of cocaine for purity.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.