A number of posts have challenged the theory of evolution in favour of creation. Here is an attempt to address some of those issues.
If Darwin had never postulated the theory of evolution it would not render atheism untenable. There are many things that science cannot explain, the diversification of species would just be another one. There were atheists before there was the theory of evolution. Science doesn't have to (and never will) explain everything it's just the best tool we have for investigating the physical universe. It merely has to postulate testable theories. We can live and be atheists without answers for everything. Gaps in the fossil record: First off only a tiny percentage of living things will leave remains in such a way that fossilisation is possible, only a tiny percentage of these will ever be recovered. Most fossils are fragments from which deductions of species have been made by comparison to other fossils, it's perfectly reasonable to suppose that many of them actually represent intermediate forms. It is only when an all too rare complete fossil is recovered that a full analysis can be made. so it will never be possible to build a continum of fiossil evidence. Evolution does not progress at a constant pace. It would be surprising indeed if it did. In a stable environment, well adapted populations will also be relatively stable. Environmental factors such as sudden climate change will be engines for relatively rapid change, long periods of stable climate will slow the pace. Ecological disasters and unchecked mutated viruses can wipe out whole populations and cause relatively rapid migrations and adaptations. A fortuitous migration or mutation in a predator may shift the balance and cause a step change in natural selection.
If creation is true why are there so many fossils of extinct species? Has god wiped them out? In the flood God only apparently intended to destroy the creeping things of the earth. Did Noah forget to put plesiosaurs in a big tank in the arc so that they forgot how to swim and drowned in the flood? Why do species in earlier strata appear in less developed forms? Why do human fossils not coexist with the extinct species? Why did god make so many varied forms? If the lion did ever lay down with the lamb why on earth did god give the lion such big teeth and claws? One thing that we can be certain of from the observation of wild life, if god did create it all he did so with a constant savage struggle for life in mind. He obviously designed animals to compete with each other. Why did he programme so much suffering into the animal kingdom? Did they participate in original sin? Okay so they don't have souls, but they do suffer - right?If the theory of evolution were proved to be wrong the automatic conclusion would not be to accept there must be an all powerful creator. How and why would he do it? Just to have animals suffer and us worship him? There is no answer there, just another problem.
Yes there has to be a natural explanation for everything but we don't need to find them all at once and indeed it would be surprising if we had since scientific method is only a couple of hundred years old .
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
The Bajau people's nomadic lifestyle has given them remarkable adaptions, enabling them to stay underwater for unbelievable periods of time. Their lifestyle, however, is quickly disappearing.
- The Bajau people travel in small flotillas throughout the Phillipines, Malaysia, and Indonesia, hunting fish underwater for food.
- Over the years, practicing this lifestyle has given the Bajau unique adaptations to swimming underwater. Many find it straightforward to dive up to 13 minutes 200 feet below the surface of the ocean.
- Unfortunately, many disparate factors are erasing the traditional Bajau way of life.
We explore the history of blood types and how they are classified to find out what makes the Rh-null type important to science and dangerous for those who live with it.
- Fewer than 50 people worldwide have 'golden blood' — or Rh-null.
- Blood is considered Rh-null if it lacks all of the 61 possible antigens in the Rh system.
- It's also very dangerous to live with this blood type, as so few people have it.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.