School Testing/ Education
There is nothing actually intelligent about a thousand multiple-choice questions. Even with a little bit of studying a little luck – in high school if you actually attend class I think it would be hard to manage to get below a 60. But that is a more global problem because most teachers don’t have the resources to actually go step by step through each problem or essay. They lack intellectual and/or physical ability. It’s a general problem with teaching. And an insolvable solution. Because there will continue to be a too many kids with not enough teachers. This is why I belong in a small school. I suck at multiple choices because I actually know what I’m talking about – a single definition cannot sum up the entirety of nuclear radiation. You have to know how to balance the equations to prove that you actually have any fucking idea what you’re talking about. But teachers won’t do that. Too much work.
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
It marks a major shift in the government's battle against the opioid crisis.
- The nation's sixth-largest drug distributor is facing criminal charges related to failing to report suspicious drug orders, among other things.
- It marks the first time a drug company has faced criminal charges for distributing opioids.
- Since 1997, nearly 222,000 Americans have died from prescription opioids, partly thanks to unethical doctors who abuse the system.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
The real Game of Thrones might be who best leverages the hit HBO show to shape political narratives.
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren argues that Game of Thrones is primarily about women in her review of the wildly popular HBO show.
- Warren also touches on other parallels between the show and our modern world, such as inequality, political favoritism of the elite, and the dire impact of different leadership styles on the lives of the people.
- Her review serves as another example of using Game of Thrones as a political analogy and a tool for framing political narratives.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.