Say no to Senate Bill 3325
I am writing to you as a citizen of Iowa. Senate Bill 3325, The Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights Act of 2008, recently was introduced in the Senate Judiciary Committee. I strongly encourage you to vote against this bill if it comes to a vote.
This bill is a thinly-disguised attempt by big media companies to preserve their monopoly on media generation and dissemination. They're so desperate to hang onto an old paradigm, they're now trying to get the United States Attorney General involved rather than adapt to the new world in which we now live, work, and play. Media companies and policymakers should be working to figure out how to tap into the transformative power and potential of the Internet rather than trying so hard to preserve a past that will never return.
As the saying goes, "It's not a revolution if someone doesn't get hurt." As Iowans and other American citizens realize that they now have voice and power, existing monopolies often get in the way of societal progress. This is one of those situations where we have to decide if we favor the people or change-averse corporations.
This bill does not serve the interests of Iowans or other Americans. Please say no to Senate Bill 3325 if it comes to a vote. Thank you.
Scott McLeod, J.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Iowa State University
Coordinator, Educational Administration Program
Director, UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.