Same rules, different marketing
Seth Godin notes
, there's a huge difference between this:
THERE ARE NO REFUNDS, NO
THERE ARE NO EXCHANGES ON PLANTS.
ALL LISTED CONDITIONS MUST
BE MET IN ORDER TO RECEIVE EQUAL OR LESSER VALUE EXCHANGE. THERE ARE NO
EXCEPTIONS. MANAGER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MAKE SPECIAL
At Surroundings, it's really important to
us that you be delighted (not just happy). Please keep your receipt and be sure
to bring it with you if there are any problems. We'll be happy to exchange any
cut flowers that aren't just right--we'll give you a store credit or any other
item in the store of equal or lesser value. Unfortunately, we can't exchange
plants. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask any of us for
I think it's safe to say that most of our school rules are written like the
former, not the latter. No wonder students grumble about the rules so much.
Couldn't we find ways to make our rules, policies, and guidelines more
palatable, more positive, and more pleasant? They might go over better with our
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
Turns out pushups are more telling than treadmill tests when it comes to cardiovascular health.
- Men who can perform 40 pushups in one minute are 96 percent less likely to have cardiovascular disease than those who do less than 10.
- The Harvard study focused on over 1,100 firefighters with a median age of 39.
- The exact results might not be applicable to men of other age groups or to women, researchers warn.
On Thursday, New Zealand moved to ban an array of semi-automatic guns and firearms components following a mass shooting that killed 50 people.
- Gun control supporters are pointing to the ban as an example of swift, decisive action that the U.S. desperately needs.
- Others note the inherent differences between the two nations, arguing that it is a good thing that it is relatively hard to pass such legislation in such a short timeframe.
- The ban will surely shape future conversations about gun control in the U.S.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.