Replacing Income Tax with Sales Tax is the best thing to do
Let me start off by saying that it is wrong to tax people for being smart with money!
Taxes should be based on the standard of living that you have. Currently the way that the tax system is set up actually discourages people from being smart with they're money because the government will tax the life out of you for any profit that you make on stocks and even more so in real estate and other investments.
This would make all Americans smarter with their money because there is nothing that we hate more than paying our taxes. People would save more of their money because there would be more tax incentives to do so. (you wouldnt pay taxes on anything that you save because you arent buying ne thing) In turn this would make the need for things like social security and medicare less so it would be better for the nations economy.
Some people say that doing this would stop the economy but it most certaintly would not. People would still buy stuff and most people would pay about the same in taxes but people who sacrifice things they want for a better net worth. And, people who don't take out loans to buy things that they cant afford in the first place would be rewarded because they are not being a burden on the system.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Both panoramic and detailed, this infographic manages to show both the size and distribution of world religions.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
A consortium of scientists and engineers have proposed that the U.S. and Mexico build a series of guarded solar, wind, natural gas and desalination facilities along the entirety of the border.
- The proposal was recently presented to several U.S. members of Congress.
- The plan still calls for border security, considering all of the facilities along the border would be guarded and connected by physical barriers.
- It's undoubtedly an expensive and complicated proposal, but the team argues that border regions are ideal spots for wind and solar energy, and that they could use the jobs and fresh water the energy park would create.
Yes, a coup d'état.
- Though we know today that his policies eventually ended the Great Depression, FDR's election was seen as disastrous by some.
- A group of wealthy bankers decided to take things into their own hands; they plotted a coup against FDR, hoping to install a fascist dictator in its stead.
- Ultimately, the coup was brought to light by General Smedley Butler and squashed before it could get off the ground.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.