Religion doesn't matter.
I am continually annoyed that there is no name for my philsophy (that I know of, that is; if anyone knows an established name for this philosophy, please tell me). I am frustrated that I have only two choices when it comes to being a non-believer: atheism or agnosticism.
I am neither atheist nor agnostic. I think that religion or the lack therof does not matter. I agree with atheists and agnostics most because they question ideas before accepting them.
I think that what you do is what matters, and how you decide to do it. If your actions are unconisdered, the product of what you believe without questioning, then I disagree with what you do. If you can honestly say that you have thoroughly considered what you do before you do whatever it is you do, then I can understand.
I am going to give a name to this philosphy since I don't know if there is a real one (damn, "Actionism," "Nontheism," AND "Irreligion" are ALL taken, and NONE apply!): Untheism.
This is a general discussion topic, please don't choose "Agree," "Neutral," or "Disagree."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.