religion and war
I am a firm believer that religion has played a major role in inciting many wars throughout history. I also believe that it is most likely to be the cause of the next war, and, with the constant advance of weaponry, it could be one of the last. An article on nyt.com talks about the most recent outbursts of divine hatred for those of another creed. I find it frightening.
I know many consider religion less important in causing wars than other concerns, but I believe the support of the populace is needed to fight a war (present wars excluded) and religion is used to gain the support of the people through demonizing the enemy. How big of a role has religion played in historical wars in your mind? in recent wars? the current war?
We are constantly trying to force the world to look like us — we need to move on.
- When the Berlin Wall fell in 1989, many Americans jumped for joy. At the time, some believed there weren't going to be any more political disagreements anywhere in the world. They thought American democracy had won the "war of ideas."
- American exceptionalism has sought to create a world order that's really a mirror image of ourselves — a liberal world order founded on the DNA of American thinking. To many abroad this looks like ethnic chauvinism.
- We need to move on from this way of thinking, and consider that sometimes "problem-solving," in global affairs, means the world makes us look like how it wants to be.
Scientists make an important discovery for the future of computing.
- Researchers find a new state of matter called "topological superconductivity".
- The state can lead to important advancements in quantum computing.
- Utilizing special particles that emerge during this state can lead to error-free data storage and blazing calculation speed.
French newspapers report that the trial hasn't lived up to expectations.
- The French government initially invested in a rural solar roadway in 2016.
- French newspapers report that the trial hasn't lived up to expectations.
- Solar panel "paved" roadways are proving to be inefficient and too expensive.