Reactions to Obama's Op-Ed Decidedly Mixed
In an editorial that strongly echoes the inaugural address and his reminder to Congress last week that "we don't have a moment to spare," Barack Obama told Washington Post readers this morning that Congress must act quickly to end the economy's downward slide.
Comments following the piece ranged from anger at Republicans who continue to stall on approving the stimulus bill to skeptics claiming Obama's proposal only steals a page from the "ancient play book of the Democratic Party." Big Think will be hosting a stimulating conversation on the recession next week with leading economists weighing in on how long this painful malaise is likely to last.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
- As a stand-up comedian, Pete Holmes knows how words can manipulate audiences — for good and bad.
- Words aren't just words. They stich together our social fabric, helping establish and maintain relationships.
- Holmes has a clever linguistic exercise meant to bring you closer to the people around you.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.