Re: Why is sex so controversial?
As far as I know, controversy is a matter of opinion. In this respect the opinions abut sex can be controversial (in relationship with each other), but that doesn't make sex itself controversial.
"So why does a sensually stimulating activity that often results in true feelings of happiness generate so much conflict?" I think this question is an altogether different one. At its core, sex is primarily about reproduction, and mates can be scarce resources, hence the competition and conflict. But it's still no controversy.
"Why would God want to deprive us of this happiness if he loves us?" First we need to establish that there is a God. Until then all we can say that people are told in God's name to do something. And some people seem to get the kick out of trying to portray a natural behavior as anything other than natural.
I would argue that extra-marital sex became forbidden in order to ensure the paternity of the children. That is why sex is a more serious offense for women than for men. Males try to ensure that they are investing in the raising of their own biological offspring, and one of the easiest ways is to fend off rivals and enforce monogamy on the females.
The controversy is the difference between what people feel as a natural desire and the dogmatic prohibition of sex.
International poker champion Liv Boeree teaches decision-making for Big Think Edge.
The way that you think about stress can actually transform the effect that it has on you – and others.
- Stress is contagious, and the higher up in an organization you are the more your stress will be noticed and felt by others.
- Kelly McGonigal teaches "Reset your mindset to reduce stress" for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Tracking project establishes northern Argentina is wintering ground of Swainson's hawks
- Watch these six dots move across the map and be moved yourself: this is a story about coming of age, discovery, hardship, death and survival.
- Each dot is a tag attached to the talon of a Swainson's Hawk. We follow them on their very first migration, from northern California all the way down to Argentina.
- After one year, only one is still alive.
These quick bursts of inspiration will brighten your day in 10 minutes or less.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.