Re: Why does the Michigan primary Democratic Ballot only have Hillary Clinton on
First of all, Hillary is not the only one on the Ballot. There are a few others, but it's pretty fair to conclude that she's the only viable candidate on the Democratic side of the Michigan Ballot.
Next, Why? Well, Michigan moved up it's primary date without giving proper warning to the DNC (according to the DNC). In return, the DNC choose to revoke all of its Democratic delegates.
What does that mean? It means that when the Democratic Party holds its national convention there will be no delegate votes cast from the state of Michigan. Technically this is how party nominees are chosen.
It part to show solidarity with the Democratic party and in part because it just didn't matter, several candidates (including Obama and Edwards) chose to remove their names from the Michigan ballot. They didn't need to campaign there. It just didn't matter.
Also, I believe that technically Michiganders can write in candidates. Unfortunately they can only write in candidates that have registered as "write in" candidates previously. Obviously if the candidates went through the trouble of not being on the ballot, they weren't going to register as write ins.
Is it right/democratic/fair? I don't know. But hopefully this can shed some light on the issue for you.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A completely unexpected discovery beneath the ice.
- Scientists find remains of a tardigrade and crustaceans in a deep, frozen Antarctic lake.
- The creatures' origin is unknown, and further study is ongoing.
- Biology speaks up about Antarctica's history.
Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com, explains his plan for success.
- Jeff Bezos had a clear vision for Amazon.com from the start.
- He was inspired by a statistic he learned while working at a hedge fund: In the '90s, web usage was growing at 2,300% a year.
- Bezos explains why books, in particular, make for a perfect item to sell on the internet.
It's one factor that can help explain the religiosity gap.
- Sociologists have long observed a gap between the religiosity of men and women.
- A recent study used data from several national surveys to compare religiosity, risk-taking preferences and demographic information among more than 20,000 American adolescents.
- The results suggest that risk-taking preferences might partly explain the gender differences in religiosity.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.