Re: Who gets to be an American?
I agree with Gov. Richardson that to BE an American one must learn the language and embrace our culture, but I believe it goes beyond that to becoming a citizen of the U.S., paying taxes, and participating in our society. I don't believe that foreith nationals should be eligible to participate in local, state or federal social service programs, other than schooling for children. I also think that a time limit should be imposed on those wishing to live and work here, that mandatory english language and citizenship classes should be provided, and should they not become a citizen within the time limit that they be returned to their original country never to return. Once such a system were in place we might consider a phased elimination of our quota system.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com, explains his plan for success.
- Jeff Bezos had a clear vision for Amazon.com from the start.
- He was inspired by a statistic he learned while working at a hedge fund: In the '90s, web usage was growing at 2,300% a year.
- Bezos explains why books, in particular, make for a perfect item to sell on the internet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.