Re: What will stop the dollar from falling?
Currency values are based on emotions of speculators. There are no rules as in physics or chemistry. There are no measures of currency quantities that determine a rise or fall.
The euro involves great debts and deficits -- some much worse than for dollars. So too for the yen, which is the currency of a nation totally devoid of resources.
Dollars have fallen because of emotions.
To stop the fall, emotions have to improve re America, or the entire world has to move towards a rational single world currency. If we imagined a single world currency, it would be massing up inside countries with a favorable trade balance. They could use their amassing quantities of money to buy things or to hoard.
That would demonstrate what happens when a nation sells more than it buys.
Right now, some speculators bid up currencies based on imagining and measuring each country's outflow and inflow. The outlook for dollars and euros is bleak, but euros rise anyway. The real mystery is the rise of euros.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
These photos of scientific heroes and accomplishments inspire awe and curiosity.
- Science has given humanity an incalculable boost over the recent centuries, changing our lives in ways both awe-inspiring and humbling.
- Fortunately, photography, a scientific feat in and of itself, has recorded some of the most important events, people and discoveries in science, allowing us unprecedented insight and expanding our view of the world.
- Here are some of the most important scientific photos of history:
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.