Re: What have you learned about aging?
No question that life expectancy will continue to increase in affluent societies. The big problem for medical science will be how to subdue brain-function so that there are exciting and new things of interest spread evenly throughout the whole lifespan.
Perhaps the solution lies in developing a 'controlled' form of Alzheimer's disease so that stuff always seems to be new and interesting. This will test the patience of generation-x, -y, etc, but keeping great-great-great-granny amused will not be high on their agendas anyway. Taking this to a doomsday conclusion, in a thousand years time we could end up with a whole alphabet of generations competing for the same space at the same time [ and on the same medication! ].
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- There are 2 different approaches to governing free speech on college campuses.
- One is a morality/order approach. The other is a bottom-up approach.
- Emily Chamlee-Wright says there are many benefits to having no one central authority on what is appropriate speech.
Two new studies say yes. Unfortunately, each claims a different time.
- Research at the Weizmann Institute of Sciences declares evening to be the best time for an exercise session.
- Not so fast, says a new study at UC Irvine, which replies that late morning is the optimal workout time.
- Both studies involved mice on treadmills and measured different markers to produce their results.
- Economist Sylvia Ann Hewlett breaks down what qualities will inspire others to believe in you.
- Here's how 300 leaders and 4,000 mid-level managers described someone with executive presence.
- Get more deep insights like these to power your career forward. Join Big Think Edge.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.