Re: What does it mean to be an American?
The difficulty in answering that question lies in the diversity of the american culture. If you look at the roots of the american working class and those that grew out of it for this answer you will find several distinct characteristics.
-A value of family and community
- The belief that you answer to yourself first. That right and wrong are not defined by laws, but by one's on assessment. For this reason, the majority of americans are not concerned with convincing others of the accuracy of thier assessment.
-The belief that you have a morale obligation to protect your family (and neighbors/community) at any cost and that your ability to do that will not be dictated by law
- The unwillingness to follow a leader they do not believe in, even for the greater good, and the unwavering support for a leader they do believe in
-The willingness to accept anyone that also holds these basic guiding principles into thier fold.
It is the combination of these basic principles, for example, that allow America to be both a melting pot and a discriminatory culture.
What makes a life worth living as you grow older?
- Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel revisits his essay on wanting to die at 75 years old.
- The doctor believes that an old life filled with disability and lessened activity isn't worth living.
- Activists believe his argument stinks of ageism, while advances in biohacking could render his point moot.
The Amazon Rainforest is often called "The Planet's Lungs."
- For weeks, fires have been burning in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, likely started by farmers and ranchers.
- Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, has blamed NGOs for starting the flames, offering no evidence to support the claim.
- There are small steps you can take to help curb deforestation in the Amazon rainforest, which produces about 20 percent of the world's oxygen.
Emojis might contain more emotional information than meets the eye.
- A new study shows that people who frequently used emojis in text messages with potential dates engaged in more sexual activity and had more contact with those dates.
- However, the study only shows an association; it didn't establish causality.
- The authors suggest that emojis might help to convey nuanced emotional information that's lacking in strictly text-based messaging.