Re: What does it mean to be an American?
The difficulty in answering that question lies in the diversity of the american culture. If you look at the roots of the american working class and those that grew out of it for this answer you will find several distinct characteristics.
-A value of family and community
- The belief that you answer to yourself first. That right and wrong are not defined by laws, but by one's on assessment. For this reason, the majority of americans are not concerned with convincing others of the accuracy of thier assessment.
-The belief that you have a morale obligation to protect your family (and neighbors/community) at any cost and that your ability to do that will not be dictated by law
- The unwillingness to follow a leader they do not believe in, even for the greater good, and the unwavering support for a leader they do believe in
-The willingness to accept anyone that also holds these basic guiding principles into thier fold.
It is the combination of these basic principles, for example, that allow America to be both a melting pot and a discriminatory culture.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.