Re: What do you think happens to you when you die?
I believe that thought is a product of living matter. (evidence: whenever thoughts occur, electrical activity can be detected in the brain - after death no electrical activity can be detected) When that matter ceases to be alive, thought processes can no-longer continue. For many this is a difficult concept to grasp -- not because it is challenging to understand, rather people don't want to understand it. The idea that after death the consciousness that makes YOU who YOU are no longer exists is scary. It makes people feel good inside to "know" that when they die some part of their identity will continue on indefinitely. I feel that this is one of the major reasons that questions like "what happens after you die" are asked in the first place. The truth is that we have very real evidence for what happens to a living being when they die - they decompose (barring rare events like mummification, embalming, etc.) There is no reason to invent mythical places or fantastical stories to create answers to questions that are meaningless to begin with.
To conceptualize this think about the dead raccoon you drove past on the way home from work today. Does she have an afterlife? Furthermore think about all of the animals that have existed on our pale blue dot...4 billion years of life. Does every single life have an afterlife? If so where are they?
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
"Earth" features about 30 of the biggest names in entertainment.
- Lil Dicky is a rapper and comedian who released his debut album in 2015.
- His new music video, "Earth," features artists such as Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheehan, Kevin Hart, and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- All proceeds of the music video will go to environmental causes, Dicky said.
Some evidence attributes a certain neurological phenomenon to a near death experience.
Time of death is considered when a person has gone into cardiac arrest. This is the cessation of the electrical impulse that drive the heartbeat. As a result, the heart locks up. The moment the heart stops is considered time of death. But does death overtake our mind immediately afterward or does it slowly creep in?
- A forensic artist in Scotland has made a hyper realistic model of an ancient dog.
- It was based on the skull of a dog dug up in Orkney, Scotland, which lived and died 4,000 years ago.
- The model gives us a glimpse of some of the first dogs humans befriended.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.