Re: The Preventative State
Why focus only on blue-collar crimes and terrorists? Seems to me some of the worst damage to society is done through white collar crimes. Think: the S&L; fiasco, Enron, the sub-prime mortgage mess, the thousands upon thousands of developments world-wide carried out because some government employee was bribed - how do you undo that damage? How do you undo the crimes of the current administration, including an unjustified war, trillion-dollar debt and untold environmental damage?
While I don't mean to triviliaze the damage caused by terrorists and sexual predators, if you are thinking large scale, theysimply don't compare to white collar crime.
You want to re-structure jurisprudence toward a preventative approach, fine, we can have that debate. But at least get the right target in your sights.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
A completely unexpected discovery beneath the ice.
- Scientists find remains of a tardigrade and crustaceans in a deep, frozen Antarctic lake.
- The creatures' origin is unknown, and further study is ongoing.
- Biology speaks up about Antarctica's history.
Bushier eyebrows are associated with higher levels of narcissism, according to new research.
- Science has provided an excellent clue for identifying the narcissists among us.
- Eyebrows are crucial to recognizing identities.
- The study provides insight into how we process faces and our latent ability to detect toxic people.
It's one factor that can help explain the religiosity gap.
- Sociologists have long observed a gap between the religiosity of men and women.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.