Re: the path to energy independence
The problem lies in the fact that there are currently no viable alternatives to oil dependency that will allow us to continue anywhere near our current level of energy-use.
Diverting the disaster we will be faced with once we hit the peak oil crisis is of utmost importance, but the same corporations fueling the research into developing alternatives to oil have mostly abandoned the pursuit ideologically and have diverted much larger sums of money into security and weapons technologies which they hope will allow them to isolate themselves from the emerging collapse of the western world as well as help them to continue plans of war for oil, which we saw set in motion under the guise of a "war on terror".
The best thing we can do is to work toward our own independence from popular energy; we should endeavor to learn to raise food for ourselves, demonetize whenever possible and make a variety of other lifestyle changes. It would also be very beneficial for us to develop mutualistic relationships with others in our communities to a larger extent than we normally would, whether the communities we live in believe in the coming crisis or not.
If we were to do that, now, and not wait as we so often do for the media, television and so forth to catch up with reality, we could expect to make it through this ok. Maybe even better than ok. We could all perceivably benefit from a new-found independence - personal and environmental health benefits at the least would be extraordinary.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.