Re: stocks or realestate?
First let me qualify my response by stating that decisions on where and what to invest cannot be made in an information vacuum (i.e. not by someone on the internet who doesn't know you). That being said, real estate is a very useful tool for the smart investor.
Within the domain of real estate you have two major options available to you;
1. Through accurate market and regional research, you purchase a property with the intent to rent it out and/or to resell the property for a capital gain.
PROS: Using this method provided you have a good credit record you can leverage you money by setting up a mortgage on the property. This method can also be very profitable especially through the rental income.
CONS: Substantial risk especially if you are financiering the investment alone. Unless you have a large amount of assets you run the risk of putting all your eggs in one basket. Wheeling and Dealing in real estate is also very time consuming, not to mention the duties of being a landlord.
TAX: You are right that for most circumstances the government does pilfer (yes, that was intentional) a great deal of your profits. However, if you setup a business and funnel the profits through that type of a vehicle then you can substantially lower the taxable income (especially if you re-invest)
The second method which is more mainstream is the utilization of the investment device referred to as REITs. This will diversify your portfolio with real estate without the need to go out and purchase the physical property yourself. Depending the country REITs pay very little to no tax and the vast majority of their profits and given back to the investor in the form of dividends. If your interested I encourage you to further research the matter.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
If you're lacking confidence and feel like you could benefit from an ego boost, try writing your life story.
In truth, so much of what happens to us in life is random – we are pawns at the mercy of Lady Luck. To take ownership of our experiences and exert a feeling of control over our future, we tell stories about ourselves that weave meaning and continuity into our personal identity.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
A space memorial company plans to launch the ashes of "Pikachu," a well-loved Tabby, into space.
- Steve Munt, Pikachu's owner, created a GoFundMe page to raise money for the mission.
- If all goes according to plan, Pikachu will be the second cat to enter space, the first being a French feline named Felicette.
- It might seem frivolous, but the cat-lovers commenting on Munt's GoFundMe page would likely disagree.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.