Re: Should religious texts be taught in schools?
Mantis, are you saying that you would not want to learn about any fiction whatsoever? Would not read Shakespeare or science fiction? If there is evidence for everything there is no curiosity and creativity, no desire for discovery. Where do you think ideas come from? Also, asking a student to learn about religion and corresponding texts is not the same as asking the student to adopt these beliefs. Religion has shaped the history of the world and has been the subject of some of the greatest thinkers; it would be foolish to not expose students to the beliefs of billions around the world.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
Three scientists publish a paper proving that Mercury, not Venus, is the closest planet to Earth.
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbor must be planet two or four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
A new method of growing mini-brains produces some startling results.
- Researchers find a new and inexpensive way to keep organoids growing for a year.
- Axons from the study's organoids attached themselves to embryonic mouse spinal cord cells.
- The mini-brains took control of muscles connected to the spinal cords.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.