Re: Religion in a Modern World
Myth or Truth - Does it matter? What is the difference if I choose my moral beliefs based upon my own experiences or if I choose them based upon the written, religious stories of others?
Does Christianity / religion answer all the questions of the modern world? Maybe not literally (although occasionally I run out of wine and need a quick solution), but it can provide you with at least the description / interpretation of lessons in a centralized place by which you can inform your own answers. Religion provides not only the tales to reference, but gives one an organized forum in which to participate via group worship and congregation. The only problem arises when individuals use their religious interpretations as justification for not abiding by earthly laws, both governmental and cultural.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
The climate change we're witnessing is more dramatic than we might think.
A lazy buzz phrase – 'Is this the new normal?' – has been doing the rounds as extreme climate events have been piling up over the past year. To which the riposte should be: it's worse than that – we're on the road to even more frequent, more extreme events than we saw this year.
Once again, our circadian rhythm points the way.
- Seven individuals were locked inside a windowless, internetless room for 37 days.
- While at rest, they burned 130 more calories at 5 p.m. than at 5 a.m.
- Morning time again shown not to be the best time to eat.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.