Re: Religion in a Modern World
Myth or Truth - Does it matter? What is the difference if I choose my moral beliefs based upon my own experiences or if I choose them based upon the written, religious stories of others?
Does Christianity / religion answer all the questions of the modern world? Maybe not literally (although occasionally I run out of wine and need a quick solution), but it can provide you with at least the description / interpretation of lessons in a centralized place by which you can inform your own answers. Religion provides not only the tales to reference, but gives one an organized forum in which to participate via group worship and congregation. The only problem arises when individuals use their religious interpretations as justification for not abiding by earthly laws, both governmental and cultural.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- There are 2 different approaches to governing free speech on college campuses.
- One is a morality/order approach. The other is a bottom-up approach.
- Emily Chamlee-Wright says there are many benefits to having no one central authority on what is appropriate speech.
America continues to tread water in healthcare and education while other countries have enacted reforms to great effect.
- The American healthcare and education systems are known to need some work, but a new study suggests we've fallen far in comparison to the rest of the world.
- The findings show what progress, if any, 195 countries have made over the last twenty years
- The study suggests that economic growth is tied to human capital, which gives a dire view of America's economic prospects.
- Economist Sylvia Ann Hewlett breaks down what qualities will inspire others to believe in you.
- Here's how 300 leaders and 4,000 mid-level managers described someone with executive presence.
- Get more deep insights like these to power your career forward. Join Big Think Edge.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.