Re: Re:Does hip-hop reinforce racial stereotypes?
Mr. Jean raises an important point. Hip Hop is probably important and relevant to kids in parts of the united states simply because it makes them dream. I understand that people would want to get the success they see rappers having since rappers themselves talk about how they used to be in the slums selling crack.
This is my thought, is it possible that the artificial dream of money and fame is keeping the kids from realizing some of the more real aspirations they could make out of their lifes? As example I could say, having a career that passions you, helping your community, become a better individual. There seems to be a concensus in mainstream hip-hop that "making it" is measured by your bank account. Is that the message we want to send to our kids? Do you know any parents out there that tackled the issue with their kids?
I believe the issue here is not to critizise the music or the genre, I would rather push for a humanistic approach to the development of our youth. I.e. discovering their potential as human being and encouraging this potential the most we can. If X passions a kid(let it be math, geography, art, whatever), I really do not believe that listenning the hip hop is going to erase that passion. However, I am afraid it would stand in front of it and cast a shadow on it.
Sharon Salzberg, world-renowned mindfulness leader, teaches meditation at Big Think Edge.
- Try meditation for the first time with this guided lesson or, if you already practice, enjoy being guided by a world-renowned meditation expert.
- Sharon Salzberg teaches mindfulness meditation for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
The navigation tool has placed a school in the sea, among other things.
- Google has apologized for the sudden instability of its maps in Japan.
- Errors may stem from Google's long-time map data provider Zenrin – or from the cancellation of its contract.
- Speculation on the latter option caused Zenrin shares to drop 16% last Friday.
This gives credence to the 5-2 diet, which has recently gained in popularity thanks to a large celebrity following.
Chances are you're probably thinking about food right now in some capacity. Maybe it's close to dinner and you're wondering what you are going to eat. Maybe you had a really good lunch and are fondly reminiscing about your BLT, or whatnot. Or maybe, just maybe, you're thinking about not eating food for a while.
A new computer model solves a pair of Jovian riddles.
- Astronomers have wondered how a gas giant like Jupiter could sit in the middle of our solar system's planets.
- Also unexplained has been the pair of asteroid clusters in front of and behind Jupiter in its orbit.
- Putting the two questions together revealed the answer to both.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.