Re: Re:Does hip-hop reinforce racial stereotypes?
Mr. Jean raises an important point. Hip Hop is probably important and relevant to kids in parts of the united states simply because it makes them dream. I understand that people would want to get the success they see rappers having since rappers themselves talk about how they used to be in the slums selling crack.
This is my thought, is it possible that the artificial dream of money and fame is keeping the kids from realizing some of the more real aspirations they could make out of their lifes? As example I could say, having a career that passions you, helping your community, become a better individual. There seems to be a concensus in mainstream hip-hop that "making it" is measured by your bank account. Is that the message we want to send to our kids? Do you know any parents out there that tackled the issue with their kids?
I believe the issue here is not to critizise the music or the genre, I would rather push for a humanistic approach to the development of our youth. I.e. discovering their potential as human being and encouraging this potential the most we can. If X passions a kid(let it be math, geography, art, whatever), I really do not believe that listenning the hip hop is going to erase that passion. However, I am afraid it would stand in front of it and cast a shadow on it.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.