Re: Re: Why is preventative care important?
There are many barriers to seeking preventative care in the United States. Firstly, there is a lack of primary care physicians who can often diagnose an ailment before it exacerbates and causes the patient to procure services, much more expensive ones at that, from a local emergency department. Secondly, individuals in this country who have private insurance have little incentive to investigate, or in some instances report, potential maladies because it will raise their premiums or make them ineligible for their current insurance. Lastly, there are numerous indigent, uninsured, and underinsured members of our country who utilized emergency room services as their only line of health care. As I mentioned earlier this is not nearly as effective as identifying and treating the condition early, both in terms of cost and patient outcome. To rectify these, it would be necessary to undergo healthcare reform for insurance to be sure, but also to undergo an increased effort in health literacy so that patients better understand their own health and how to maintain it.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.