Re: Re: What's the right response to rising gas prices?
We need to accept that the Peak Oil Doomers are essentially correct. Even if petroleum production "merely" plateau's, this will provoke a catastrophic contraction of the economy. Furthermore, unless we launch the infrastructural-reconstruction equivalent of World War II to build up US wind power, no combination of so-called alternative fuels will save us. ¿Why? For the very simple reason that future demand for energy (and other resources, such as water) is "infinite". No current energy policy proposal can ever be sustainable until the problem of inexorably growing demand is resolved. Every year we add 75 million human beings whose dream is to consume like suburban North Americans. Given the alarming state of the world's environment today, ¿what will be its condition if the Chinese economy lifts off the runway of Development? Restricting demand (population) growth is going to be the procrustean bed upon which humanity will writhe for the next century.
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.