Re: Re: What is America's greatest challenge?
While suicide bombing is a major obstacle that must be overcome, I would argue that Mr. Dershowitz misses the point by equating fundamentalism with and being happy with their lives. Look where the suicides are taking place. Just because the Islamic world does not have a new SUV and an i-Phone does not mean they are not happy. Money does not equate happiness. If this were the case, the majority of the world would be experiencing severe depression. The problem is not fundamentalism born of out of poverty; it is fundamentalism of last resort. Look to Carter’s Peace Not Apartheid. \nFundamentalism is a major challenge. Poverty is not the cause. Happiness is not the cause. Dogma is the culprit.
The way that you think about stress can actually transform the effect that it has on you – and others.
- Stress is contagious, and the higher up in an organization you are the more your stress will be noticed and felt by others.
- Kelly McGonigal teaches "Reset your mindset to reduce stress" for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
The issues that determine your health go way beyond seeing your doctor.
- The average American spends about 24 hours a year at the doctor's office.
- What you do the other 364 days a year mostly determines your health.
- Michael Dowling discusses Northwell's focus on environmental, social, economic and other social determinants of health.
The blood of horseshoe crabs is harvested on a massive scale in order to retrieve a cell critical to medical research. However, recent innovations might make this practice obsolete.
- Horseshoe crabs' blue blood is so valuable that a quart of it can be sold for $15,000.
- This is because it contains a molecule that is crucial to the medical research community.
- Today, however, new innovations have resulted in a synthetic substitute that may end the practice of farming horseshoe crabs for their blood.
These quick bursts of inspiration will brighten your day in 10 minutes or less.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.