Re: Re: Re: Re: What is the root of Islamic fundamentalism?
To begin with, many moderate Muslims can be seen on PBS and CSPAN, trying to do what you suggest.
My fellow Jews have the same difficulty: fanatics and zealots will not heed moderates. To reach fanatics, one must have fanatics do the reaching out.
Within Islam, Judaism, Christianity -- there are many flavors of fanaticism. The main hope is that the real bigshots in the various religions would attempt to get the fanatics to accept moderation. It would be a very strenuous effort requiring a lot more than moderates to teach their moderate views of texts. Many texts are absolutely clear and hateful, within all the Abrahamic religions.
Ultimately, the fanatics have to be persuaded -- very unlikely. Within Judaism, we have many fanatics and rabid teachings, with no stopping of it in sight.
We need the Great Powers to force the hand of each religion and get them civilized.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.