Re: Re: How should the Bible be interpreted?
Concerning the validity claim made my virtually all religious texts both East and West. There is much that is wise, consoling and beautiful to be found in this worlds current religious texts. But are there not also abundant passages of beauty to be found in the works of Shakespeare, Virgil and Homer? And somehow no one has yet to murder thousands of strangers because of the inspiration he found there. The belief that certain books were written by "God" himself(who for reasons difficult to fathom, made Shakespeare a far better writer than himself) leaves us powerless to address the most potent source of human conflict. This being the countless swarms of innocents that have been mudered throughout history for simply not "believing" what the guy next to you believes. This mass slaughter is on the largest scale the death toll of which far surpasses all other wars in documented history. How is it the absurdity of this idea does not bring us daily to our knees. It is safe to say that few of us would have thought that a mass delusion on this scale was possible, if it didn't actually exist. Imagine a world in which generations of human beings come to believe that certain films were produced by "God" or that specific software was programmed by him. Imagine a future in which millions of our descendants murder each other over rival interpretations of Star Wars or Windows 98. Could anything at all be more rediculous than this? And yet, this would be no more rediculous than the world we are living in today!
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Air pollution is up to five times over the EU limit in these Central London hotspots.
- Dirty air is an invisible killer, but an effective one.
- More than 9,000 people die prematurely in London each year due to air pollution, a recent study estimates.
- This map visualizes the worst places to breathe in Central London.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
It works better than other memorization techniques.
- Drawing something that you want to remember is more effective than using other memory techniques
- For older people with dementia or Alzheimer's, drawing stores memories in still-intact regions of the brain
- Even if you're terrible at drawing, it's the neurological underpinnings that make it worth a try
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.