Re: Re: How do we manage intellectual property online?
Of course software patents and other bad digital property rights schemes stifle creativity -- there's simply no incentive to innovate when it's easier to extort.
The bigger problem is that the law hasn't kept up with new kinds of property and most property rights laws, like patents and copyrights, were designed for the physical world and meant to apply to things like mechanical parts and books. They simply don't translate to new, different types of digital property, and consumers and innovators are left with weird, backwards rules.
Fortunately, I don't think the system needs to be completely overhauled. Voluntary schemes like Creative Commons are excellent solutions to some of the problems -- and they don't require new laws or government intervention at all.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A new study from Oregon State University makes it clear: it's you.
- Researchers discovered that the more attention you give a cat, the more likely they are to return it.
- Cats are territorial; being in their home environment greatly affects their attitude.
- The common wisdom that cats are aloof is provably false.
10 of the most sandbagging, red-herring, and effective logical fallacies.
- Many an otherwise-worthwhile argument has been derailed by logical fallacies.
- Sometimes these fallacies are deliberate tricks, and sometimes just bad reasoning.
- Avoiding these traps makes disgreeing so much better.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- Creating a more connected world and indexing the world's information: what could be better than that?
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.