Re: Re: Does public opinion influence your decisions as a judge?
You do something worse than be influenced by public opinion. You are influenced by your conscience - believing it to come from some divine or self-evident source. You fail to recognise that your conscience is very much influenced by your background and cultural beliefs. Hence a Supreme Court decision can generally be predicted in advance by an examination of the cultural, economic and demographic backgrounds of the Justices during the era of their early adulthoods.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
The climate change we're witnessing is more dramatic than we might think.
Once again, our circadian rhythm points the way.
- Seven individuals were locked inside a windowless, internetless room for 37 days.
- While at rest, they burned 130 more calories at 5 p.m. than at 5 a.m.
- Morning time again shown not to be the best time to eat.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.