Re: Re: Are you satisfied with the state of Native American affairs?
Thank you Governor Richardson for raising the issue of Native American affairs in the United States. It is essential for polticians to give voice to those who have been systematically silenced both historically and currently in the Americas.
I am a Canadian, and the state of Natives (First Nations) in Canada is comparable to that of the United States. The United Nations has recently identified the living conditions on First Nations reserves in Canada as being similar to third world/developing countries.
I disagree, however, when you state that Native Americans should be treated equally and not be given 'special treatment'. Of course all humans should be treated equally but the present day Native American, as you illustrated through your evidence, is not on an equal footing as the average U.S. citizen. The current conditions of Native Americans is demonstrative of the increasign socio-economic stratification occuring within the United States. The increasing divisions between classes in the U.S. is unacceptable. This is precisely why I oppose lobbyists -- there are no lobbys for the marginalized or the modern-day untouchables.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
Famous physicists like Richard Feynman think 137 holds the answers to the Universe.
- The fine structure constant has mystified scientists since the 1800s.
- The number 1/137 might hold the clues to the Grand Unified Theory.
- Relativity, electromagnetism and quantum mechanics are unified by the number.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.