Re: Re: Are faith and religion irrational?
Although I also happen to agree that there is clear evidence for the utility of religious belief in dealing with questions of our mortality, its extension into so many other realms of experience is more often than not distracting or sometimes downright harmful.
I would have preferred an answer to the actual question, namely regarding the rationality of religious belief. Rationality and utility are not identical. I doubt that religious believers of any stripe consider the usefulness of their faith as a rationale for holding their belilefs - at least not in those terms.
I'm interested in any responses you folks out there might have, as well as Dr. Ariels's.
Many governments do not report, or misreport, the numbers of refugees who enter their country.
Controversial map names CEOs of 100 companies producing 71 percent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions.
- Just 100 companies produce 71 percent of the world's greenhouse gases.
- This map lists their names and locations, and their CEOs.
- The climate crisis may be too complex for these 100 people to solve, but naming and shaming them is a good start.
Bernie Sanders reveals an even bigger plan than Elizabeth Warren, but does it go too far?
- Bernie Sanders has released a plan to forgive all the student debt in the country.
- It is even larger than the plan Elizabeth Warren put forward two months ago.
- The plan has drawn criticism for forgiving the debt of both the poor and those well off enough to pay their own debt.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.