Re: Pick a race?
I think it depends on the culture in which one is raised. I'm partly Filipino, but I was not raised in the Filipino culture and don't know the customs or holidays or languages. Same with my Chinese, American Indian, and Spanish heritages. I'm also partly Welsh and Irish and Scots, but no one looking at me would likely see that.
I was raised a Californian, more than anything else, I think. And my experience traveling around this country and the world, being Californian is perceived as almost a racial identity.
Sometimes racial identity is pegged to who you're with. As a child whose family made frequent moves, it was important that I fit in as soon as possible. Sometimes I did this by identifying with a majority race, sometimes by setting myself apart as an "exotic" minority race. For a large part of my childhood, however, I lived in low-income areas that were predominantly black, which is not in my racial heritage. In these communities I was identified by others as white, a racial identification I have never really been comfortable with.
These days, I prefer to check the "other" box and if asked for a clarification, enter my name.
Humans are animals who prefer to gather in groups of like interests and the group you choose to belong to can depend a lot on what interest is being addressed as well as where you are welcomed.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.