Re: Pick a race?
I think it is very possible to embrace more than one racial background. My beautiful seven-year-old granddaughter is African-American and white. She identifies with role models on both sides of the family. She plays with, fights with, and dearly loves cousins on both sides. Her speech and enchanting ways are a product of both cultures. I would not want to see her deny either side of herself and I don't believe her dad or grandma would either. I know that the multiracial people who are college age and older now had a whole different experience, but I hope it will be different for her generation.
You know what else? Because of the close bond I have with her and the time I've spent doing things with her and her cousins, I sometimes feel like my own inner being has somehow become multiracial. Does that make sense?
Firefighters in California are still struggling to contain several wildfires nearly one week after they broke out.
- Hundreds of people are still missing after three wildfires spread across Northern and Southern California last week.
- 48 of the 50 deaths occurred after the Camp Fire blazed through the town of Paradise, north of Sacramento.
- On Tuesday night, a fourth wildfire broke out, though it's mostly contained.
We know the dangers of too little sleep. Now for the other side of the story.
- Western University researchers found that sleeping over eight hours per night results in cognitive decline.
- Oversleepers suffer similar difficulties on certain cognitive tests as those who sleep under seven hours.
- Not all the news is bad: One night of oversleeping results in a cognitive boost.
Protected animals are feared to be headed for the black market.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.