Re: Parental Influence at Work in Pinker's Statement
I think that Pinker would say that he enjoyed living in a house like that because he's who he is. He wouldn't say that living in that house made him who he is.
In other words, the genetics made him into a person who loved exchanging ideas and such. If he'd been adopted into a home without books and ideas, he would have been miserable. That's as opposed to saying that he would have grown up to be someone who didn't love books and ideas.
The interview segment was short, so he couldn't go into the overwhelming evidence that backs up what he's saying. For a fuller explanation, check out his book, The Blank Slate.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.