Re: Melissa Harris-Lacewell: What's Really Going On
People talk about the 'shrinking middle class' without assessing what contributed to the growth of that middle class. My suspicion is that the middle class is an artificial phenomenon propped up by government programs originally, and then sustained by unions which no longer have their clout. Thanks for providing the names of those government programs: GI education bill, federal mortgage programs, and interstate highways.
How it is that mortgages which were so wonderful for one generation turned out so bad for another? I know the answer, but just think it is interesting to point out generational differences.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- During the Vietnam War, Robert McNamara began a program called Project 100,000.
- Women and nonwhite candidates made record gains in the 2018 midterms.
- In total, almost half of the newly elected Congressional representatives are not white men.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.