Re: Making Sense of It All
Creation by evolution. God said, "Let there be light" and 50 billion years later, here we are. This is not the vengeful God of the Old Testament, nor the kinder, gentler face of the New Testament's God the Father, nor is it Allah. I do not believe that one person in the entire history of people can know how it all began, why it all began, or how it will end. For one group of people to believe that they have exclusive rights to God and Heaven is arrogant and sanctimonious. My southern Baptist upbringing would have me believe that Ghandi, Siddhartha Gautama, all native Americans, and the still remote tribes of South America and Africa are all going to hell with Hitler, Charles Manson, and me. Rabbinical scholars that study only with the Old Testament agree that the seven day creation tale was created indeed, by its authors, yet Fundamentalist Christians (& GWB) hold it to be true. Wake up and smell the fossil fuel, ya'll.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
If you're lacking confidence and feel like you could benefit from an ego boost, try writing your life story.
In truth, so much of what happens to us in life is random – we are pawns at the mercy of Lady Luck. To take ownership of our experiences and exert a feeling of control over our future, we tell stories about ourselves that weave meaning and continuity into our personal identity.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
A space memorial company plans to launch the ashes of "Pikachu," a well-loved Tabby, into space.
- Steve Munt, Pikachu's owner, created a GoFundMe page to raise money for the mission.
- If all goes according to plan, Pikachu will be the second cat to enter space, the first being a French feline named Felicette.
- It might seem frivolous, but the cat-lovers commenting on Munt's GoFundMe page would likely disagree.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.