Re: Lakota Sioux Indians declaring Sovereign Nation Status
While the Lakota Sioux certainly have a reasonable basis for complaints against the United States, seceding from the US is probably one of the worst things that they could do. Having visited the independent "government's" website, it seems to me that they have not taken into account how hard it would be for them to survive as an independent nation. They are proposing that their residents would not have to pay taxes provided that they renounced their US citizenship. What I would like to know is how do they intend to pull their people out of poverty with no money? Despite how small the aid the US government has given the Sioux has been, the US will stop any and all aid. The geography of the Sioux "nation" would force them to become a completely agricultural society with no industrial capacity to speak of and little to now way to export their products to any other nation besides the US, who may or may not be willing to support them by buying their products. Finally, think of the people that the Sioux will be taking land away from. These people have their entire lives tied to the land they live on, they are not the kind who will peacefully leave their property when it is assumed by another nation. While the Lakota Sioux certainly have many reasons to be angry with the US government, a successful secession would be one of the worst things that could happen to them.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The history of the Geneva Conventions tells us how the international community draws the line on brutality.
- Henry Dunant's work led to the Red Cross and conventions on treating prisoners humanely.
- Four Geneva Conventions defined the rules for prisoners of war, torture, naval and medical personnel and more.
- Amendments to the agreements reflect the modern world but have not been ratified by all countries.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
Air pollution is up to five times over the EU limit in these Central London hotspots.
- Dirty air is an invisible killer, but an effective one.
- More than 9,000 people die prematurely in London each year due to air pollution, a recent study estimates.
- This map visualizes the worst places to breathe in Central London.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.