Re: Is technology making us more lonely/detatched from each other?
Absolutely not! Technology makes our society more social. Look at most of the most popular sites out there. They are used to connect people. I think last year the #1 visited site was myspace. A site where the entire purpose is to interact with others.
Dating sites are also on the rise. More and more people are meeting up on line. Our "pool" to meet a significant other has grown so large. Even group sites and events advertised on Craigslist are gaining popularity. The point of ALL of this is to meet new people and experience new things.
I do feel that some people become so dependant on being social thru the keyboard that they forget how to interact with people face to face. That is certainly a problem. But the tools are there to help those people out.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
What do the inventions of the future look like?
- Flying cars and robot butlers could be the next paradigm shift in our tech appetite for change.
- Death and consensus reality might soon become obsolete.
A space memorial company plans to launch the ashes of "Pikachu," a well-loved Tabby, into space.
- Steve Munt, Pikachu's owner, created a GoFundMe page to raise money for the mission.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.