Re: Is Individualism fading?
Actually individualism is not fading but group behaviour seems to be threatening to throttle it. As somebody said our internet behaviour is itself a pointer to the way group conformism tries to destroy individualism by creating labels .For example ,what you find in Myspace or Facebook looks ,on the face, to be an attempt to carve out a personality but in reality ends up using conformistic symbols and slang which makes the individual expression just impossible.Some sort of a game is all the way being played in which the individual voice is seen as a maverick's and the irony is that all those who indulge in this gameplay are themselves anxious to be recognised as individualists .You merely end up as another member of the same mob speaking the same lingo .
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
Three scientists publish a paper proving that Mercury, not Venus, is the closest planet to Earth.
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbor must be planet two or four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
A new method of growing mini-brains produces some startling results.
- Researchers find a new and inexpensive way to keep organoids growing for a year.
- Axons from the study's organoids attached themselves to embryonic mouse spinal cord cells.
- The mini-brains took control of muscles connected to the spinal cords.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.